Serging 101....next Sewing 101

Thanks to my calling as the Relief Society Enrichment counselor, I have become involved in our ward's humanitarian efforts.  Marilyn Hyer convinced me that I could make a receiving blanket in ten minutes using a serger and I believed her!  So about two months ago, I went online and ordered a serger.  Marilyn gave me a crash course and I have officially completed serging around the outside of 17 flannel receiving blankets.  The first few I did definitely had "beginner" written all around the edges.  But to my amazement, I am actually getting the hang of it.  Knowing that I still need to sew a square in the middle of the blankets to keep the fabric from shifting, I purchased a sewing machine from a garage sale just up the street from my parents.  The machine was still in the original cardboard box with all the packing and the owner said she had used it only a couple times.  So far, I have figured out how to thread it and wind the bobbin. Who would have ever guessed that I would take up sewing.     receiving blankets 003

1 comments:

  BushlingX7

October 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Jenny, that is so cool. I too have taken an interest in sewing. Not like I get a chance to do it but I am glad to hear you have a serger because I have some blankets that I want to sew and they would be so much better with your serger. OR I really need to get myself a machine.