Kents in Kauai

We arrived late Friday evening and picked up two rental cars.  Our first stop was Costco to pick up  groceries for the week.   Then Kelly’s favorite restaurant stop:  Taco Bell.  We arrived at the Waoihai to find a lobby decorated beautifully for the Christmas season.   Everyone was exhausted so sleep was the main priority.

Saturday morning we got off to an early but slow start.   Elle, Kelly, Krissy and I explored the beautiful grounds of the resort.  I think it is probably the most gorgeous hotel we have ever stayed in.  Upon returning, we made a meal plan for the week and my mother and I headed off to the grocery store.   We made trip two to Costco and then to a Save-U-Mart for a few things we didn’t need to buy in bulk.   The most requested item to bring back was POG juice and not only did we find it, we found light POG juice for Nicole.  

Kelly and I decided to go out exploring in the afternoon.  We went to SpoutiIMG_6227ng Horn which is a “blowhole” created by waves forcing water into a shoreline cave, resulting in water shooting out of  a hole in the lava formations nearly 60-70 feet high.  The pictures that follow don’t accurately depict how high the water really shoots.  We of course brought a few items from the local vendors.  

Following that we went check out a few shopping locations.  We stopped at Snorkel Bobs which  claimed to have fun gift items but only found really cheap snorkel rentals.  Next we hit the main street in Koloa but found it not to be very accessible.   Last stop was the  shopping village in Poipu just a short drive from the resort.   We found lots of things we wanted to buy until we saw the prices.  OUCH!   IMG_6228

My dad cooked Hamburgers and Hot Dogs on the BBQ out by the pool for dinner.  Elle and Kent were very excited about seeing the Christmas tree all lit up from the balcony.  I love these pictures.

IMG_6232

IMG_6233 Then we had to venture to see it close up.  I was hoping to get a few decent pictures of the two of them standing in front of them but these are the results.  They were more interested in touching the presents and the lights than anything else.

IMG_6241 IMG_6254

IMG_6264

Today my Dad woke with a touch of the stomach flu.  So only part of the group ventured off to Waimea Canyon.  It was about an hour drive from the resort  but the sights along the way were beautiful.  The road was a bit windy and steep rising to approximately 3500 ft. (at least that’s where we turned around) I was a bit worried since some in our group get motion sickness  but we all survived.   Mark Twain referred to this sight as the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific” and I definitely agreed.  

IMG_6311

IMG_6317IMG_6336 

On the drive back, we stopped in the little town of Waimea for lunch and to visit Aunt Likikoi, a store that produces passion fruit products.  Ever since we traveled to St. Thomas when I was sixteen, I have longed to eat passion fruit again.  It seems almost impossible to find the actual fruit.   I got one today I think because the woman at the store took pity on me.   But we also purchased some passion fruit products that they had for sale.     Can’t wait to try them when we get home. 

1 comments:

  Michelle

December 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I LOVE POG juice......drink lots for me!! POG juice is enough to make me jealous. More so, I think, than the fact you are on a nice, sunny beach and it is supposed to snow here tomorrow.